* Symbols are awarded clearing that particular dog of certain hereditary health defects.
* The symbols will be listed in front, behind, or below that dog's name.
* Other distinguishing characteristics or notes about a particular dog might also be shown above, below, or behind a dog's name.
* A dog's health clearance can also be found on the pedigree.
* Clearances are given for hip dysplasia used for determining future possible hip problems, elbow dysplasia, hearing problems and eye diseases.
Even though dogs have been tested for various health issues and the results are good or negative (that they do NOT have the health issue) on both parents of the puppy, a puppy can still have one of the health issues . Usually when all this testing has been done, there is still the risk in those bloodlines. Many vets will recommend to the breeder that if there hasn't been a history of a particular health issue(s), there would be no need for the testing. Usually when the testing is done, the cost of the pup is going to be considerably higher.
Here are some clearances you might encounter on your dog's pedigree.
OFA - Orthopedic Foundation for Animals
Ex - Excellent evaluation for hips
G - Good evaluation for hips
F - Fair evaluation for hips
HD - Dutch designations for hip radiological status
(HD-) Negative evaluation, totally clear
(HD/Tc) Intermediate evaluation
(HD+/-) Light positive
(HD+) Positive evaluation for dysplasia
CERF - Eyes are normal
BAER - Hearing Test
VWD Negative - Does not have von Willebrand's Disease
If you are still having trouble reading your puppy's pedigree, your breeder or veterinarian should be happy to help you interpret the pedigree so you can fully understand its importance.
The materials offered on this website are intended for educational purposes only. Rising Creed Boxers does not provide veterinary services or guidance. Please contact your veterinarian regarding the care of your animals. Rising Creed Boxers Jack, Alabama
Owner: Will McMillan
AKC Boxers Fawns, Mahogany Fawns, Brindles and Sealed Brindles